Thursday, December 29, 2011

My View


Random ruminations from your resident curmudgeon...

As this year comes to a close, I want to thank all of you that have been gracious enough to stop by and read the blog. This is the third year of writing this missive, and it has been the best year so far in terms of readership. I am honored that you would stop by and visit and that you take the time to read. My sincerest appreciation to all of you.

As we close the year, say goodbye to the smiling dog and the jealous cat. They have served well this past year as the picture that welcomed you to the Friday opinion blog. The critter for next year's "My View" blog has been selected, and I think you will like him.

If you haven't been to the Stadium Journey site, I invite you to do so. This is the brainchild of Paul Swaney, and he has engaged writers from all over the country to write reviews of sports venues, from college stadiums and arenas, to stadiums, rinks, and arenas in all of the professional sports. This is a great site if you are making a first time visit and wanting to know about a venue and the surrounding area. You can find the site here. The View has written three reviews for Stadium Journey- The Bridgestone Arena, LP Field, and Williams Brice Stadium, home of the Gamecocks.

Those that regularly read this blog know that I comment frequently about political and economic events, so you know that I cannot let a blog pass without some comment on where we are in this country. Over the years, there has been a sense of disconnect between the bureaucrats and elected officials in Washington and the electorate. Over the past three years, this had become blindingly obvious. As we move into the throes of the election cycle next year, it is easy to tune out the noise and verbiage to the point that we become disengaged in the process. That is the last thing any of us need to do. This election will go further than any in our lifetime toward determining the direction of this country for decades to come. As easy as it is to tune out the ads and the rhetoric, I encourage all of you to stay engaged in the issues- not the candidates- and really understand what is at stake in this process.

And here are some thoughts as we close out 2011:

The speed at which a woman says "Nothing" when asked "What is wrong?" is inversely proportional to the severity of the coming storm.

A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether or not to say it.

Life is not like a box of chocolates. It is like a jalapeno. What you do today may burn your ass tomorrow.

Some people are just crazy, and when you think you have reached the bottom of their craziness, you find out that there is a whole underground garage of crazy.

Let's eat grandpa. Let's eat, grandpa. Remember, correct punctuation saves lives.

Only in math problems can you buy 60 cantaloupes and no one ask what the hell is wrong with you.

Don't you love how in scary movies a person yells out "Hello?" As if the killer is going to answer, "I'm in the kitchen, want a sandwich?"

Things are finally clicking in my life. Unfortunately, it is my knees, my shoulder, and my elbows.


I hope that 2012 is a fantastic year for all of you, full of great joys and blessings.

And that, my friends, is my view.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the very kind words Mark. Have a fantastic 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I sometimes disagree with your political stances, I entirely agree that we can't afford to disengage from the process. What's most disappointing to me over the last 15 years or so is how poisonous the atmosphere has become in Washington, where working with the opposite party to get something done is now looked at as treason rather than statesmanship.

    I'm sick of candidates pledging to "go to war in Washington". I just want them to go to work.

    Happy New Year, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine that anyone would disagree with my political viewpoints :) I do respect the honest debate and totally agree that the toxic nature of Washington is detrimental to the good of the country

    ReplyDelete