Thursday, January 28, 2010

My View




Random thoughts from a warped and fevered mind...

One year ago, I thought it would be fun to try my hand at blogging. I considered the content that I would put in to a blog, and, as it says under the masthead, you have been given a fan's view of hockey, sports, and life. When I started the blog, I had no idea if anyone would read it, if this would be something that I would continue, or if it would fall by the wayside. I certainly had no idea how it would be received by you the reader. Over the past year, many of you have offered your gracious support and your kind comments as I have tried to grow into the role of a blogger. I want to thank the Predators blogging community who have been so helpful and supportive, and I want to thank each of you that reads the blog.

I wonder if the cannibals that ate the missionary got a taste of religion?

One of the favorite tools of the left is to attempt to kindle a populist fervor against big business- euphemistically and constantly referred to as "Wall Street". This may play well in the world of politics, but in reality it is is bad for Americans and the U.S. economy. Not for a moment do I believe that American business is pure. There have been egregious errors in judgement that have cost individuals their livelihoods and taxpayers money. The reality is, however, that big business is you and me, and Wall Street is entertwined with our daily lives. The vilified "big business" and "Wall Street" employs millions of Americans who labor honestly to support their families and the communities in which they live. And Wall Street is not a bunch of greedy investment bankers (although there are some of those out there); rather, it is investment in American business that has helped to generate untold wealth for us. It is the equity investments that we hold in our retirement accounts and that we are saving for our children or grandchildren's education or legacy. Rather than demonize American business, shouldn't our govenment be doing more to make it easier for companies to do business in this country and employ more people?

Would an eye doctor on an Alaskan island be called an optical Aleutian?

Notice this past week when we had several days of triple digit declines in the stock market? This was a result of the rhetoric coming out of Washington. The concern was that the onerous proposals for additional taxes on banks would cause banks to curtail much of their lending activity. Know this- if the banking system in this country grinds to a halt, there will be no economic recovery. We can guarantee ourselves double digit unemployment for years. Banks provide the capital that many small business need to grow and hire additional workers. Without that capital, there will be very little hiring from the main economic engine in this country- those same small businesses. And the electorate will not tolerate governance that relegates our economy to second tier status and prevents the growth of jobs.

The other day I was helping my ten year old son with his science homework, and he was telling me that protons have mass. Mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.

And that, my friends, is my view.













No comments:

Post a Comment