Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

He taught me how to throw a football, and then sat in sweltering heat and freezing cold to watch me play the game I loved. No matter how well or poorly I played, he was always there with an encouraging word. He taught me how to drive, and I am responsible for some of the gray hairs in his head from that process. He showed me how to work with my hands and fix things, a talent I use even to this day. He was the disciplinarian when I needed it, and as much as I hated to face the punishment that I so richly deserved, it taught me right from wrong and built character. He taught me devotion by modeling his love for my mother, even during the difficult times before her death. He was consistent, loving his family no matter what the circumstances. He was a great provider, not only in monetary terms, but with his time and his care for his family. He taught me what it meant to be a man, a man of integrity. He is my hero. Thanks, Dad, for all you have done and still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment